Sunday, January 8, 2017

Quick welcome to Winter 2017 trimester

     I hope that everyone had a good winter break. I just wanted to give you a quick preview of what the kids will be doing in science and math this trimester. This should be a very exciting trimester as we have the science fair on March 11th.
     This trimester both classes will experience firsthand the process that scientists go through to answer questions. We will start the trimester answering a few questions together, as a class, and then students will do independent (5-6), and pair (3-4) research projects. In addition, 3-4 graders will study structure/function in living things and 5-6 will have an introduction to chemistry, with a focus on biochemistry.
      In math, 3-4 will start the trimester solving some real life math problems, practicing multi-step word problems and practicing multiplication tables (up to 10). Then each student will continue where they were on their books. With the older students (5-6), I am starting the trimester talking about skills that they will need as students from here on - taking notes, preparing study summaries and taking tests. Then, fifth graders will do some hands on exploration with fractions (multiplying and dividing), and sixth graders will have some time to study, make math study planners and take a test.
       Feel free to email me if you have any questions or comments. I also wanted to take this opportunity to let everyone know that we are currently working on finding (and training) a person to replace me, starting next trimester. As you know, I made the decision of following a lifelong dream of studying medicine, and I will be starting medical school in May. March will be my last month at Peregrine. This will be a very difficult transition for me since I am passionate about the work we do at Peregrine, and I will miss the entire community tremendously. But Lorie, the elementary staff and I are working hard to find the right person for this fun and rewarding job.

No comments:

Post a Comment